Friday, May 29, 2009

Music to My Ears.

So most nights at work I listen to music. One earbud in, volume on low I listen while I chart. While people sleep all around me and it is quiet. I so don't do quiet.

Last night, I didn't listen to music. I wanted to. I reached for it several times. Every time I stopped myself. Why, you may ask? Two reasons. Room 27, room 46.

Nurse, we need help in here! Yells the family member with 27s roommate.

Corrie, your guy in 46 is up again... naked this time. Yells the nurses sitting across the pod from me.

Leave it to me to turn two completely sane people into crazy lunatics who pull out foleys and try to fall every 10 minutes.

that is not even mentioning the other lady in 27 who every time I touched her yelled something to the effect of "why are you hurting me I thought you would help me stop it" over and over again. In my defense she was out of it before she became my patient.

I felt it very important to be able to hear every little noise around me, waiting for someone to finally hit the ground. They never did, which makes not listening to my music worth it.

Something cool happened the other night. I am the official wound care person on our floor, meaning I go to wound care committees and am eventually supposed to set up a wound care box. I also spent a day with a wound care nurse, and am available to help with dressing changes. I like wounds. Well, the other day a nurse who has worked on our floor for longer than I have been alive came and got me to help her do a dressing change on a new admit. I helped her measure, pack, all of it. She was asking my advice on what do to.

Me, the person who has done this job for ALMOST a year was giving advice to to a 25yr nurse. It made me feel good, like maybe after all the questions I have asked everyone I am finally getting to a point where I can contribute.

I love my job.

(and I can't wait for NURSE RaDonna to tell me all about her first day as a GN next week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment