Monday, May 18, 2009

Her nurse

My family is so not into medical field. Not a person on either side has anything to do with being a Doctor, nurse, anything medically involved. Well, I have one aunt who works in HR at a hospital. That is it. We are mostly teachers and business people.


Except for me.

When I became a nurse, I became the first in my family, and that instantly made me the expert.


Especially to my Grandma.


She calls me her redheaded wonder woman. She has declared me her nurse, and asks me questions about everything medically related. I love her to pieces.

A couple of weeks ago I got a call from my mom. "Corrie, grandma is having chest pain. What should we do?" I tell her to call an ambulance. She tells me to call and talk to my grandma.

I call, and Grandpa answers the phone. I ask him what is going on, he tells me she is having some chest pressure, shortness of breath. I told him, well, you should get her to the hospital. Better to get these things checked out.


"talk to your grandma".


It took a couple of minutes, but I said I thought she should go, and she went.


I am her nurse, after all.


Then the cardiologist wanted to do a stress test as an outpatient. Grandpa didn't like the idea. He thought the cardiologist was trying to take over her care, and they already had a doctor. Why does she need any more tests, anyway? I talked him into it, said I thought she should do it, and she went.


I am her nurse, after all.


I don't know very much. So much of my life I feel like I am barely keeping afloat, like I should know so much more than I do. Yet I want to learn. I want to soak up as much information as I can. I read articles, and read magizines. I join the ANA. I obsessively look for the perfect master's program, although granted, I don't know what I want to major in. I want to have as much knowledge as possible. To be the best nurse I can be. Because people count on me to know what I am talking about. They trust me to give them good advice, to give them the right medication. To present the right information to the doctor. They trust me to do my job, which is to be their advocate, the last line of defense. I do my best. I am not always perfect. If anything, this past week has taught be that although I do not have to be perfect, I do have to try my best. Be willing to ask questions of those who know more. Be willing to sit and talk to my patients even when I am frustrated and behind.

I prayed all day that nothing would go wrong with the test. That she would come through with flying colors. That I gave good advice to have the test. Because with her, more than anyone, I want to give the right advice, the right information.

Because no matter what happens anywhere else,

I am her nurse.

1 comment: