Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Walk of Shame

I got written up today. 4 years at the same job and I got written up. It was for a very stupid reason too. It wasn't because I had yelled at patient or had given poor care. Nope. I got written up for a misplaced mouse click. My boss called me into her office and showed me a sheet of labs with my name at the top saying I had printed it.

Dang Technology.

I had printed a patient her labs of the computer which apparently I am not supposed to do without having her sign a consent. And to top it all off, I printed the wrong patient's labs off. This is a HIPAA violation. Ouch. I feel like a complete moron. I totally know better. My boss was sorry that she had to write me up. She said she wished she could play it off or make it a verbal warning but she couldn't because it involved higher ups and all that jazz. I think she is used to people whining and trying to fight it because she was like "Do you understand? I am sooo sorry!". Yeah I understand. Obviously I did it. Obviously they are for the wrong patient. I won't be doing that anymore that's for sure.

I was glad in a way that it happened because it was a reminder that everything I do can have repercussions. In a hospital, you have to be ever mindful of everything you do because it can come back and bite you. I need to be very careful and precise with all charting and especially printing. I also had a nice chat with my boss because I don't spend time in her office very often. She asked how I was feeling about everything and if there is anything that is causing me trouble. I told I don't feel too awfully comfortable managing medication drips because I don't do it very often and that I hoped all my charting was thorough enough. We talked about it for awhile and I feel a bit better after our conversation.

I still love my job and (almost) all the people I work with. There is always a helping hand around. Someone to turn to for advice. No one ever makes me feel stupid. I am finally beginning to connect with my coworkers. It's going to be tough when I decide to leave someday because I am quite comfortable in my little emergency department. That's not always a good thing.

3 comments:

  1. Eek. I have done that before... printed results for a patient. and then they tell us we have to have them sign a release and petition med rec for the results. Kind of crazy. I also just figured out it is a hippa violation for us to look up our own medical records... like if you have labs done or something. craziness. I am glad you are getting comfortable with your job. That is a good thing! I know what you mean about making it hard to leave, though.
    okay. ending the crazy long comment now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you were caught by technology! It use to be you could help the patient and get away with it, but now they are watching very closely and I know the computer helps them very much! I know you will not make the same mistake again, it is not a bad thing, should not hurt you down the road. I have been there, remind me to tell you when we are together. Love you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rules are becoming the trap, I agree. But I'm also sure you handled this with grace. I see you growing in grace and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete