Thursday, January 21, 2010

Things I love!

Photobucket
The challenge this week is to take pictures of things you love around your home. I love my apartment... always have. The living room is huge, big enough for all of my people. I have an extra room for a library/sewing room. All of my stuff from Africa/Guatemala/Europe. I loved having roommates, and I have enjoyed having it to myself. There are a million things I thought about taking pictures of, but two things stuck out,so here we go:


This is a clock my great grandma gave me. I love the story behind it. Great Grandpa Ross took her to detroit. She didn't want to go, but he had a line on a new car for free, maybe, or a significant discount, so she went along. While they were there they went shopping and found this clock. Grandma mentioned liking it, Grandpa said he hated it, and she bought it. It hung on their living room wall for 40 some odd years. I have these memories of going over in high school and helping her glue back on the diamonds. When she moved into assisted living, she wanted it to go with her. 4 months later, when we were taking down her apartment after she died, my name was taped to the back of it. It requires winding, which I never do so it isn't actually functional, but I love it all the same.


I have a lot of picture frames. I figured I would stick all the pictures together, because there are a lot. These aren't even all of them, just the ones in the biggest groups (for the record, my sister has probably 3 times as many as I do. It is a family thing). I love them, because I live here, by myself, with my favorite people spread out all over the place. I have pictures of people in florida, pictures of grandparents, pictures from graduation and pictures of road trips. It doesn't matter how bad my day is. I can't make it to my bed, out of my bedroom, to the dining room, or to my books, without passing a collection of pictures, a collection of memories, that make me smile. And don't we all need something that is guaranteed to make us smile?

(update: so apparently I fail at MckLinky cause my link didn't work the first time... so I just added it again. hopefully it works this time. sigh.)

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful picture of the clock! Memories flooding in just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story about the clock. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures. The story about the clock made me cry. Finding your name on the back of it... I miss my grandparents so much.

    I love your frames! I think a house with a lot of pictures is a house filled with unlimited love and happiness : )

    I am visiting all the You Captures. Some weeks I try to participate. I didn't get a chance to last week but I still love to visit and get ideas : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd also like to thank you for sharing the story about the clock. It's very bittersweet.
    And I most certainly agree about the pictures! I have some all over our home too. My son loves to look at his baby picture and is so proud to say that it's him. It makes me giggle every time.

    ReplyDelete