Thursday, August 6, 2009

MY HAIR IS GREEN!!!

Well, not really. It is red, rather bright. Sometimes curly. always frizzy.

When I was little I hated my red hair. Probably due to the fact that everyone made a big deal about it, probably because I was the only person in my family to have red hair. All my uncles/brother/dad have dark brown hair, and red beards. That is me, I match their beards. When I was five I had the eye doctor convinced I was color blind because I insisted that my hair was GREEN, not red. My grandpa still comments on my green hair.
Today I read 2 articles about redheads. My grandma sent me one, and I found one in the new york times health blog. Redheads make up only 2% of the population. It is a recessive gene, so both parents have to have it (I have been at family reunions for both sides of the family... tons of people and I am still the only redhead). Our pigment clings to the hair follicle tightly, which is why it is very hard to dye red hair. I should know, I have tried to go brown twice, and not even my mom noticed.


Of course, it is also the most asked for color in hair salons, and it is the hardest to achieve. Normally you can tell the difference between a natural and a not.

What I found interesting about the second article in the New York Times is that there is now evidence that redheads are resistant to anesthesia, which means in procedures if we are given the amount of meds normal patients are given it is less effective. We hurt more at the dentist because Novocain is not as strong in our system. I have also read, not today, that redheads bleed more. Combine with bleeding more and hurting more, Doctors are told to keep an especially close eye on us when we are giving birth, as we are more inclined for complications.

Oh joy.

I find genetics fascinating. I have heard of patients refuse medications because it is a blood pressure med designed specifically for African Americans. There is no difference, I am trying to discriminate, give me the stuff you give everyone else. Yet it is proven to be more effective. The way the body works, and is formed, is amazing. The fact that we have the technology and knowledge to find out how people are wired different and give them different treatments, incredible,

And trust me, I will have no problem using my hair color as an excuse for more pain meds if I ever need too.

(just found another article about how we need more general anesthesia as well.

1 comment:

  1. I think God made it more difficult to color red hair because Redheads are Wonders, and He wants everyone to identify them! Here's to Redheaded Wonder women!

    ReplyDelete