Monday, August 17, 2009

Mental health and all that...

I am off for a week again. I get these long breaks every three weeks. This time is longer than normal because I took Wednesday off. I took call. The beautiful thing of the census being 14 patients less than what we are staffed for, for over a month running now, is that you can put yourself on call and no one cares. Actually they think it is a good thing, because it is one less nurse to call and beg not to work. (side note= I would not like staffing job... getting turned down all the time. people are also talking about mandatory canceling. I wonder if that is allowed.)
Anyway, I called it my mental health day. I needed it. I could have gone to work. I would have given okay care. Not excellent care though, which is why I didn't go. Do you ever feel so tired your brain can't focus? Honestly, my eyes wouldn't focus on the computer screen. My brain was a sludge. I could not think. I wasn't sleeping well, because I had switched back and forth so many times from day to night that my brain couldn't figure out when it was supposed to shut down. I woke up more tired than when I went to bed. Over the last 4 days I have slept probably about the same amount of time I have been awake. That is probably not normal, but it has felt good and my brain is actually functioning again. That has to be a good thing. Going for a month with either work or something major planned every day is not conduicive to my well being. I will remember that in the future.

Today I bought two new books on amazon... books to help me prepare for my PCCN certificiation. RaDonna has motivated me. I don't even know what all she has done since she graduated but it is definetly more than me. Time for catch up.

I went to the wound care meeting this past week. We are getting some new products I am excited about. I really like being involved, one of the first to hear about the new things.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment