Sunday, October 11, 2009

Growing Pains

The beginning of the latest schedule at work marked the beginning of my life as an Independent ED RN. I was now officially off orientation and ready to take my very own assignment! My first shift went great and nothing unusual happened and all my patients survived!

The next day was Monday and I got my first Code STEMI all on my own and did pretty well, even had a cardiologist breathing down my neck and still got the heparin hung and the second IV started and the patient shipped out in excellent time! And then I asked the Physicians Assistant to look at the suspicious rash that had been developing on my neck and shoulder and she diagnosed me with shingles! Normally I would have just let it go it's own course and get better over time but there are three prego nurses at work and I would never have been able to forgive myself if my shingles caused harm to their babies. So I told my boss and was promptly sent home from work for a week! I was disappointed because I really wanted to keep up my momentum and get into my own pattern and ways of doing things. But I used the time to relax and tried to find ways of cutting the stress out of my life because that is why I got the shingles at such a young age!

Then I got the flu on Sunday, the day before I was supposed to go back to work, so I had to call out again! I had never been so sick in my life and what's more my mom was out of town so I had to nurse myself back to health! ( I am a very whinny sick girl!) But I finally got better and went back to work. I was behind in school though and my teacher was giving me grief about a doctors note and yadda yadda and through all of this I was doing an excellent job at feeling sorry for myself!

I finally got things back on track and felt like life was going good again until that Sunday I helped work my first pediatric code. It is impossible to describe how it feels to see a 6 year olds' body mangled and broken on the stretcher and seeing all the nurses and doctor working as hard as they can to save him while wiping tears from their eyes. He didn't make it and we didn't have time to grieve for him before two more pediatric patients from the same accident came rolling through the ambulance bay doors. Those were three of the hardest hours I've had so far as a nurse and I'm sure I will have many harder ones to come.

I had been doing pretty well working on my own, all was well and the biggest personal triumph I've had is that I've only needed help twice starting an IV and even was able to get a successful IV start on a 6 year old dehydrated boy on the first shot! That made me happy! For some reason I am fixated on IVs. :)

Like I said, everything was going fine until last Wednesday. I had a 67 year old male patient complaining of blood in his stool. He said he’d been eating raspberries the night before and now his stool looked as pink as my scrub pants. His vital signs looked great, in fact his blood pressure was actually elevated at 152/90. His skin was warm and dry and his color was great: nice and tan. I hooked him up to the monitor and started a line on him and went ahead and ordered some labs tests on him and sent the blood down to the lab since I knew that Doctor wasn’t going to be able to see him anytime soon.

15 minutest later, I walk past the room to find blood all over the floor, the stretcher, my patient, and even the wall. It looked like someone had slaughtered a pig in my patient’s room. He had lost what looked like .25 to .50 of a liter of blood from his GI tract. He was pale, drenched in sweat and complaining of weakness and horrible cramping. I called for help from a tech and another nurse and I started running fluids on him immediately. By this time his blood pressure is now 100/55 and I am downright terrified. The doctor came in, examined him and ordered 2 units of blood stat for him. Meanwhile, a code was coming in so I lost the help of the other nurse and the tech. I got him all cleaned up, the best I could, and after about thirty minutes got him stable enough that I wasn’t certain he was going to keel over any second. About an hour and a half later, I shipped him up the ICU to get his blood transfusion.

I feel like I failed him. I wish I had been able to recognize sooner that he was so sick and was going to go downhill so quickly. I should have gotten a doctor in there sooner to see him or at least observed his stool so I could determine that yeah, this man was having an active GI bleed and not just overreacting about some raspberries. The rest of this shift and day, I felt like a horrible nurse. On Friday, I was grateful I got to work in fast track which meant I had a 99.99% certainty that I wouldn’t kill anyone because all the patient’s were just complaining of minor issues like colds and lacerations.

So now I am terrified of going to work tomorrow. It’s Monday and I know it’s going to be crazy busy and I will be running my butt off and will probably get some very sick patients. I just pray to God that He will be merciful to me and my patients and use my hands and my mind to bring healing and not harm to each and every one of my patients.

I bought some new scrub tops and a nifty new stethoscope hip holder so I am going to walk in to work tomorrow dressed to impress, with apprehension in my stomach and this prayer on my lips: Please God, please don’t let me kill anyone today.

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I have prayed that prayer many a night. It gets better. You are doing great. I have no doubt that you did everything exactly right.
    How do you like the hip holder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great!! It sounds like your GI patient was still compensating! What was his pulse? As you learned in TNCC old people sometimes don't react to shock like younger people, describing his stool as pink, not red would not alert you to a very active bleed. You reacted well, did a good job. Life of the ED nurse, :) As you are learning, must make frequent rounds on your patients!! It is amazing how much a little blood can spread around and like you say, look like a pig had been slaughtered! I know you had a good day Monday, your a great nurse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete