Friday, November 6, 2009

Thursdays.

Here is the e-mail I sent my dad the other night:

I think maybe I am just cursed in winter.

My patient just coded.

Drats.

It might be a long couple of months.

(in other news... I have no news. i was having a good night. until I walked in the room and my patient wasn't breathing. that kind of killed the good night. )

I hope you have a good day. And that no one stops breathing during it.

At least I didn't have to do compressions, although those are kind of fun.

I would still rather not have to do them... I will take a beating heart over a not beating heart any day. Even without breathing.

Now, give me a patient with both a beating heart and the ability to breathe, and I am a happy camper.

I don't think I ask for much, do you?


Sometimes the way my brain works while I am taking a 5minute lunch break at 5:30am worries me. I don't really think chest compressions are fun. Really. I do like it when my patients are breathing, that much is true. I really cannot tell you how much I liked going back to work last night and having that patient back on our floor... he is okay! Or as okay as someone could be who stopped breathing for a bit. Life is Good. I finally had a code patient live.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. Now be truthful, compressions can be fun, precordial thumping someone can be fun, shocking someone can be fun! :) Mainly when the outcome is good. I can remember the first time I thumped a patient, got his heart beating right again, cool!! Shocking someone and having them wake up, cool!! But when you work on a patient and do all these things and more and lose them, it hurts!! :( It is nice to have fun once in a while! :)

    ReplyDelete